Objectives & Deliverables
Objectives of NRCFOSS Phase - II
Undertake Research, education and development in the field of Open Source Software based tools, services and applications in India
To contribute to Open Source Software and standardization activities globally by way of collaborating with different government sponsored OSS centres.
Encourage use of open standards for document exchange and website in Government departments
To provide consultancy and certification services to government, Industries and academic community
Encourage use of GNU/Linux and other FOSS tools in Government departments along with skill development programmes
Demonstrate interoperability among various FOSS tools and applications
Implement e-Governance projects using FOSS and create demo cum operational test beds
Implementation of FOSS in educational domain
FOSS adoption impact analysis
To organize study programmes, Lectures symposia, conferences exhibitions and similar promotional activities related to F/OSS development.
Organising training/workshops for SMEs.
Development and enhancement of NRCFOSS portal which will become a platform where multidisciplinary organizations involved in Open Source collaborate to benchmark open source developments, licenses & research activities, maintain repository of analysis reports of open source software in our Country and Asian economies and establish fora and e-workshops
To continue Human Resource Development in FOSS in both the formal and non formal sectors.
To enhance accessibility for FOSS desktops
ICT&E courseware development and certification for widespread online learning
Setting up Centres of excellence in mobile platforms using open source software
Further additions and enhancements to BOSS Linux specific to education & scientific domain
Deliverables of NRCFOSS Phase-II
- Development of SaaS stack delivery model which is the innovation used in different technology like Grid Computing / Cloud Computing
- Develop service oriented architecture for kernel services
- Integration and development of Common desktop development infrastructure
- To setup Centre of Excellence for Mobile Internet Devices based on BOSS GNU/Linux
- Development and enhancement of NRCFOSS portal which will become a platform where multidisciplinary organizations involved in Open Source collaborate to benchmark open source developments, licenses & research activities, maintain repository of analysis reports of open source software in our Country and Asian economies and establish fora and e-workshops
- Enhancing accessibility for FOSS desktops
- Setting up of GCC Resource Centre which leads to improving GCC and spreading the technical know-how of GCC particularly in India through converting a few interesting research break-throughs (eg. whole-program analysis, optimizer generation from specifications, better instruction selection) into practically useful technologies.
- FOSS HRD in the formal sector & Non-formal sectors which include
- FOSS Competency Certification programme
- Development of a FOSS-based CSE/IT Engineering degree
- Development of a FOSS Maturity Model for
- Creation/Maintenance of a FOSS Information Repository
- Institutionalisation of NRCFOSS.
- Open source walk-in e-learning solutions laboratory with focus on standards compliance and offering certification course in open source software.
- Creation and maintenance of knowledge bank repository for education, e-Governance & scientific applications.
- Further additions and enhancements to BOSS Linux specific to education & scientific domain